Tuesday, 24 November 2009

Couplings on 0-6-0T

This loco belongs to the East Anglian Scalefour group and is used on Coldfair Green.

I have fitted DCC controlled AJ couplings to the loco using my etched parts.

I built up the couplings as complete units on a piece of printed circuit board. This was then fitted to the loco using the chassis mounting screws. Wires from the board went up to the loco, via some small PCB plug/sockets which allow the couplings to be electrically removed.

Coupling in closed (normal) position. Some parts temporarily held with "whitetac", araldite (or similar) will be used when happy that no further adjustments are required.

Coupling in open position, with magnet clearly visible on bottom of flap.

Close-up of front of loco, counterweight is visible below buffer beam, but fairly unobtrusive. Loco now requires cosmetic 3-link or screw coupling elements to be hung alongside AJ wire.

Yes, I am bending AJ hooks the "wrong" way. I have started experimenting with Vincent de Bode's method which puts the double section downwards (the downwards part still pulls the train load). Vincent's method offers the possibility of finer wire (the train load is no longer taken by the 180 degree bend) which in turn means the wire can be shorter for the same degree of springiness. It also means that the lower tail of a coupling cannot catch on a burr (there is no cut at the lower edge). The "Vincent bends" are compatible with conventional couplers, so its possible to mix and match between different types. Its too early for me to tell whether I will swap over wholesale to Vincent's method, but it shows promise.